Good documentation is critical for any project and to get good documentation, the process to create it must be as frictionless as possible. With this in mind, we've structured SIOT documentation as follows:
- Markdown is the primary source format.
- documentation lives in the same repo as the source code. When you update the code, update the documentation at the same time.
- documentation is easily viewable in Github, or our generated docs site. This allows any snapshot of SIOT to contain a viewable snapshot of the documentation for that revision.
- mdbook is used to generate the documentation site.
- all diagrams are stored in a
file. This allows you to easily see what diagrams are available and easily
copy pieces from existing diagrams to make new ones. Then generate a PNG for
the diagram in the
images/directory in the relevant documentation directory.